shower pipe stressing ceiling below

Old 01-24-05, 06:52 PM
Bill2003
Visiting Guest
shower pipe stressing ceiling below

House is 6 years old.
Shower stall is on 2nd floor. We've always noticed that when you step on a certain portion of the floor of the shower stall it creaks rather loudly. We considered this more of a nuisance than anything. Its loud enough that you can easily hear it when you're in the shower and also when you're in the kitchen below on the first floor.

A couple years ago we noticed the ceiling in the kitchen started to crack, right about where the creaking noise comes from.

We hired a handyman to fix it, he cut open a hole and patched the drywall ceiling and everything looked fine. At that time we thought the crack was caused by a slight leak from the toilet which was near the shower stall, we had that leak fixed.

Unfortunately the crack has come back. Now we are suspecting that somehow a drain pipe from the shower was put in too low to the 1st floor ceiling and the creaking noise is the drain pipe rubbing on the ceiling somehow. Eventually it stresses the drywall and causes a crack which of course just gets bigger and bigger.

We are resigned that we will have to cut a hole in the ceiling again, this time a larger hole so we can see what the true cause of the recurring crack is.

My question is: How can I prove this theory? How can I prove if the drain pipe from the shower stall was causing this? If it was causing this, I'm assuming some rerouting of the drain pipe to get it away from the ceiling more would solve the problem. Also, if there was some way to keep the shower stall floor from flexing that may help also. Any advice on this one?

Old 01-31-05, 01:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post pictures of your situation; the only way that the shower pipe could be causing this is only if there is a leak, and there is possible structural problems in the home that is adding to this problem.

Sounds like a major issue is going on that needs more than just a plumber.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: