Toilet condensation

Old 01-25-05, 10:14 AM
gregs
Visiting Guest
Question Toilet condensation

Hi folks. I have a toilet that is placed against an outside wall (that is properly insulated). Well, that's not accurate; there's actually at least a full inch between the toilet and the wall. I live in a moderate climate (Vancouver), which means that during the winter, the outside temperature rarely gets below freezing.

Yet, even with the spacing and the fact that the wall doesn't seem to be any colder than any other walls in the house, this one toilet tank produces a MASSIVE amount of condensation. So much so, it starts to drip water on the floor in less than a day from the last time I wiped the tank down.

I suppose I could stick some insulation between the toilet tank and the wall, but I'm not convinced that would do the trick, as the wall never seems to get cold.

Am I missing something? Is there some other way to get the toilet to stop "sweating profusely"? Thanks.

Old 01-25-05, 05:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Condensation on a toilet tank is usually caused by the amount of humidity in the room. The water in the tank is colder than the air surrounding it and if there is a shower being used in this room, then it collects on the colder surface. They do make insulating kits for this purpose. An exhaust fan would also help. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: