Toilet Bowl Losing Water Over Time

Old 02-03-05, 07:18 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Toilet Bowl Losing Water Over Time

Recently, I've noticed the water in our toilet bowl drops over time when not used. It never really fills up that high when flushed but if it's not used overnight, for example, the water level in the morning appears to have dropped a fair amount. It has me a little puzzled since there isnít any leak anywhere around the bowl or tank.

Does anyone have any idea as to what specifically could be causing this? I'm about ready to replace the entire works in the tank but if there's some specific part that would fix it I'd appreciate the much easier solution and job. Also, how do I get the bowl to fill up higher after flushing? Will correcting the first problem invariably correct the water level after flushing as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-05, 07:39 AM
In the bowl of the toilet is a trap. This is what determines how much water stays in the bowl after the flush. If you pour a bucket of water in the bowl it will be the same level as when you flush. Has nothing to do with the tank.
You didn't say if this was the only toilet in your house. Is there another one above or below it? The reason I ask is that it could be the vent causing the problem. If the vent is clogged then when another toilet or fixture is used, the water in the bowl could be sucked out to get air for water flow. This also allows sewer gas to enter your home. Winter is a bad time for vent pipes. Animals looking for a warm spot are attracted to the vent. Birds often build their nests there causing blockage. Spider webs collect moisture and then it freezes over. Leaves collect also. If you have another toilet, have someone flush it while you watch the problem toilet. See if the water in the bowl moves when the other one is flushed. If so, it's a vent problem and the pipe will have to be cleared and flushed (with a garden hose).
Could also be a hairline crack in the bottom of the bowl and the water seeps out and goes down the drain without showing up on the floor.
Hope these ideas help you find the problem. Reply back with any other questions you may have. Good luck.
There should be a water level line inside the tank. The fill valve can be adjusted to stop water at the correct level.

Old 02-04-05, 06:38 AM
V
Update on the low water level problem

Thank you for your help and suggestions! In all, I have three toilets in the house. One is on the first floor and the other two (including the problem toilet) are on the second floor.

As you suggested, I flushed the other two toilets but the problem toiletís water never moved. I guess that may rule out the vent problem. Second, I poured a bucket of water in the toilet and left it set all night. After a couple of hours the water level didnít appear to move at all but when I got up this morning it looks like it has dropped about a Ĺď. I guess the crack theory seems a bit more like it.

Can you give me an idea of what I should do now? Should I just go out and buy a new toilet? Should I (and can I easily) try to replace the trap first at the bottom of the bowl and see if that does the trick? Would it be worth my time to bring in a plumber to confirm my cracked trap or isnít that necessary at this point?

Thank you for helping with this!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Old 02-04-05, 06:44 AM
The trap is PART of the toilet. It is built in so it cannot be replaced. You can replace just the toilet bowl if you can find one that matches the current style or replace the whole toilet. It is a DIY project. If you decide to replace it, let us know and we can assist you to get it done. Good luck.

Old 02-04-05, 08:27 AM
V
Thank you again!

Thank you again for your help! Looks like I'll be doing some toilet bowl shopping this weekend! I'll post again if I run into any snags. Any suggestions on toilet brands, etc? Right now I'm just looking for the standard white toilet. I don't know too much about the details.

Old 02-04-05, 08:33 AM
Try to make sure that the trap is fully coated with porcelin. Some of the cheaper toilets are rough in that area and it makes it harder to flush as things "drag" going down.

Old 02-04-05, 08:35 AM
V
Thanks!

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to check it out thoroughly!