Not so level toliet install

Old 02-07-05, 06:37 PM
tifferpat
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Not so level toliet install

We are in the midst of a major home renovation project. To save some time we had “professionals” install the rough plumbing for our bathroom. One of the guys went ahead and installed the toilet; alas, it is far from level. Problem: the contractors had no record of us having the toilet installed, so they are not willing to come out to fix the problem. It’s been a few weeks now. Through another forum I heard mention of shims specifically designed to level toilets. Is it too late? Or will I need to completely remove the toilet and start the installation over?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-05, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The toilet should be installed on the finished floor level.
The toilet flange should be bolted to the floor with only the thickness of the floor flange above the finished floor level for the wax ring to seal properly.
The toilet should be leveled (use a level across the bowl) using beveled plastic shims made for the purpose, if necessary.
If it is really (and visibly) unlevel, I would pull the toilet, replace the wax ring, and level it properly.
It isn't that hard to do, and you can DIY. If you need any help, just come back on this same thread and ask. We'll be glad to give you the easy step-by-step.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 02-07-05, 06:56 PM
tifferpat
Visiting Guest
Visibly unlevel

It is quite noticeable; just looking at the toilet straight on you see a major difference right to left. I'll take your advice to pull it and start again. Found help in the DIY section for the install. Question though: How do I shim it? Just like any other install? If so, do I just fill the gap with caulk? Thanks!

Old 02-07-05, 07:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
With the level across the bowl, just slide the shims under it in places until it's level and balanced securely, snug the two toilet bowl nuts down (not too tight or you may crack the porcelain) and snap off the shims around the base of the bowl.
Run a bead of tub-and-tile caulk around the front and sides for looks to hide the shims and gap, but leave the back open for future leak detection purposes.
Good luck!
Mike