Low shower head pressure

Old 02-16-05, 03:46 PM
manmeet72
Visiting Guest
Low shower head pressure

We recently purchased a 6 year old house. The water pressure in all the kitchen and shower faucets is good except for ONE shower head. It is uniformly poor for both the hot and cold water. I have changed the shower cap but to no avail. There is no obvious calcium derbris in the pipe either.Any input would be appreciated...I'm a novice; so kindly use simple language while posting a reply. Thank you in advance!!

Old 02-16-05, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi manmeet72,
Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You don't say if you have a single handle valve or a dual handle. Is this a tub/shower unit or just a shower?

Either way you could have a defectve deverter or something plugging the inlets to the valves or to the shower head.

Have you tried taking the shower head off and running the water? This will let you know if its the valve or the head its self. You could also have a special low pressure shower head on this shower. The new "gentle rain" type shower heads have very little pressure.

Good Luck and reply back if you have further questions

Old 02-17-05, 11:18 AM
manmeet72
Visiting Guest
Low water pressure

The shower is exclusive, i.e., there is no tub attached.
It is "dual" with both hot and cold water controls.
On removing the shower head, the pressure is still low.
Thank you!!

Old 02-17-05, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That takes it down to the faucets or the whole shower valve assembly. You can turn off the water and disassemble both faucets and check the washers on the ends of the stems. While the faucets are apart, turn on the water and flush the system out. (make sure the shower door or curtain is closed) and then re-install the stems. If this does not make a difference, then its time for a new valve assembly which will mean cutting out a wall section on the back side of the shower. If you do this, buy an access panel with door so you can easily access the plumbing in the future. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: