Rust deposits overnight !!!!

Old 02-21-05, 12:30 PM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
Rust deposits overnight !!!!

OK, I've been renting this older house for about a month now. The faucets in the bathtub have had a steady leak since the first day, SO i replace the gaskets/washers. It fixed the problem, but now I have water leaking from the molding bordering the tub. SHould I rip the molding off and check it out? Can I even find replacement molding?

This is an old house with iron pipes.

EDIT: ALso, this stain will come back within an hour later. Droplets of water comiing down in about 30 second intervals.

Thanks

Last edited by Bubba Bob; 02-21-05 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 01:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bubba Bob, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
The molding looks like typical wood molding.(comes in plastic also) The problem is probably the nails that hold it on rusting, or the lip of the tub rusting. Normally the edge is caulked. This PREVENTS water from entering the joint. I couldn't tell what the wall material was but it may have sucked up moisture and the fasteners that hold it to the studs are rusting also. Be careful how much you do since this is a rental property. Good luck.

Old 02-21-05, 01:07 PM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
OK thanks. Ill get new molding then.

do you think ive got a leak, or is this water from the last time the tub was used?

Old 02-21-05, 01:32 PM
I don't believe it is a leak. Looks more like seepage.

Old 02-21-05, 01:48 PM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
Excuse my ignorance, but seepage from WHAT?

Anyway, I'm about to take the molding off.

Old 02-21-05, 02:04 PM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
Ok, Im trying to take the molding off, but I can't get the tub faucet off! Their is NO screw on it. How do i remove this?

Old 02-21-05, 05:25 PM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
OK, i broke the molding off around the tub faucet. YOu were correct, the insulation has jsut soaked up the water.

Ok, so how do I take the faucet off?

Also, my plan for repairing it is this. I fill in the areas of soaked insulation i removed with spakle, put another molding on it, then apply new caulk to it.

Hows that sound? Thanks

Old 02-22-05, 03:51 AM
Your spout probably screws on. May be hand tight, may need a wrench. If you use a wrench, grab it up by the wall to lessen the strain on the pipe that is inside it. It looks like the caps on your faucet screw on (the part with H & C on them). Usually a pair of pliers will do it. Then you can remove those covers at the wall. Good luck.

Old 02-22-05, 01:51 PM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
Screw the WHOLE spout off? Ok, Ill try it again. I fell like if i twist any harder im going ot bust the iron pipe. ANyway, Ill get some molding/trim on friday, thanks for the help.

Old 02-22-05, 07:13 PM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
OK, ive tried a wrench. Ive tried sticking a screw drive up it and turning. ITS NOT COMING OFF!

IVe tried WD 40, but it wont loosen! How do i get this off?

Old 02-22-05, 07:18 PM
On a house the age of yours, the spout is screwed onto a pipe nipple about 5 to 6" long. If you look at a new spout in a Home center or hardware, you will see threads inside that attach to this nipple. I agree that they are probably rusted and it's a pain but thats how it is put on. Most likely galvanized pipe. Try tightening it a little first, sometimes this will break the rust loose.

Old 02-22-05, 07:32 PM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
OK, Ill try that again tomorow (let the WD40 soak in). If that doesnt work ill get some Louisiana Hot Sauce and put on it to break the rust down.

Thanks

Goodnight

Old 02-24-05, 02:07 PM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
OK, I have an L shaped screw driver now

So, I got some hot sauce and coated it. (or i hope, cant really see)

Ill try it again tomorow.

Old 02-25-05, 06:26 PM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
Ok, i picked up a pipe wrench, put it on the spout and banged it with the hamer.
IT WONT COME OFF Anyone have ANY tips before i use the hammer on my head?

THanks

Old 02-25-05, 06:52 PM
Time to pull out the heavy artillery. If you have access to a Dremel type tool or recripocating saw, you can cut the spout off. You will have to replace the nipple as it will be cut in two. If you do not have access to either tool you can use the old standby"Hacksaw" and cut it off. If you have to cut the spout off hopefully you will be able to unscrew the other end from the pipe.

If you have a Dremel type tool you can use it to cut sections of the tub spout off. When you have gotten close to the nipple threads you should be able to peel the spout off.

Some of these spouts have become VERY comfortable in their present location. It really takes some hard work and ingenuity to get them to move.

If you cut the tub spout off and are unable to remove the other end from the pipe,you can get a set screw type spout to replace the existing one with.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted with your progress

Old 02-26-05, 07:22 AM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
OK, i got it off. I heated it up with a propane tourch and it came right off.

Ill get some moulding and finish it up.

THanks for the help!!!

Old 02-27-05, 06:15 PM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
Well, nothing can go right

I cant find the valve to the cold bath faucet. I think my house ate it.

WEll, off to Lowes, AGAIN.

Last edited by Bubba Bob; 02-28-05 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-28-05, 07:16 AM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
Ok, I got the valve, put it on, but now when I turn on the water to either faucet, water leakes out of both!

What's causing this?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: