Odor in bathroom

Old 03-21-05, 04:02 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Odor in bathroom

I have noticed an oder once in a while in the bathroom, not from the obvious! It's more like sewer line odor. Its not real strong but I notice it. I sometimes think trap water is getting sucked out of the traps in either the sink or the tub thereby providing a path. The house is 1993. I'm thinking of replacing the wax ring but don't really know if this will do the trick. Your thoughts?

Old 03-22-05, 06:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the traps are getting sucked out, it is a vent clog. Birds and other animals look for warm places in the winter and also spider webs gather condensation and then freeze, blocking the line. Leaves also contribute to blocked vents. If you can safely go onto the roof, check the vent coming out of the roof. Look down it with a flashlight. Clear any debris you can with your hand and then flush with a garden hose. You could also put a couple inches of water in the tub and then release it and at the same time, flush the toilet to see if it causes bubbling in the tub. This would indicate a clogged vent. Good luck.

Old 03-22-05, 09:08 AM
A
We are currently experiencing the same problem in our ground level bathroom. The shower drain seems to be eminating some sewer line gas. And the odor is terrible.

The downstairs bathroom used to be a wash room. Slab floor. When we moved in, we removed the washer and slop sink, and put a shower drain in the floor connecting to the main which is in the basemant about 9 feet away. I initially thought the smell was due to no p-trap under the shower drain....then you mentioned vents in your response.

I recently gutted the main bath upstairs and removed the toilet. Could this also contribute to the problem?

Thanks in advance.

AW

Old 03-22-05, 09:26 AM
The purpose of a trap is to keep water in it to form a seal so sewer gas cannot enter the house. Since all drains are connected to the main drain, any fixture without a trap will allow sewer gas to enter. If you removed a toilet, you have to seal off the opening. There is no trap under a toilet because the toilet itself has a built in trap. Double trapping is not permitted. It causes blockages. Good luck and reply back with any other questions.

Old 03-22-05, 01:05 PM
A
Right.

Seeing as the shower base is right on top the 4" slab on our first level, there was no way to put a p-trap under the shower drain down there. It runs directly into the main which is about 10 feet away as stated before.

I'm going to try to check out the main vent on the roof tonight after work as it has stopped raining here for a brief period. Hopefully it's just an obstrcution in the vent coupled with my removal of the toilet upstairs that's causing the sewer gas smell of late....

Thanks again.

AW

Old 03-22-05, 07:43 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Odor eater

I dont think any debris is in the vent from above anyway, because it has a protective cap. I'll explain... Twelve years ago when the house was new, i could smell a bad odor I thought was comming from a broken sewer line and leaching odor in the front yard. Of course when the builder came around it was gone and became a real pain. I tried to extend the vent another three feet higher, to no avail. The septic tank leach field has a pipe that rises 4 feet above ground, with a reverse P trap, and insect screen. I snaked that underground riser vent in the leach field and the odor from the snake was minimal at best. The builder thought it was coming from the top roof vent. When I had the tank pumped, the pump truck guy said he had a gadget to solve this,... Its an activated charcoal filter with cap that fits over 3" PVC... And it did do the trick....
I dont think the problem is a wax ring only because my toilet is solid and doesn't rock at all....I'll try the tub trick. When I smell the odor, I usually run a pint of water down the shower and sink drain,...just in case!

Old 03-23-05, 06:53 AM
J
Hi AW,

You _need_ a trap for the shower. The proper way to do this would have been to cut out an area of the slab around the drain, remove a section of drain and install a trap before installing the shower.

I don't know what kind of shower you installed or how much trouble it would be to take it out and put in a trap, but that's essentially what you need to do.

Old 03-24-05, 06:03 AM
A
Thanks for the info Joe.

I took off the shower drain lid this morning and do see standing water and a bend, so I'm guessing that there is a trap in place.

This still doesn't explain the smell. If it'd ever stop raining/snowing I can check the vent on the roof.

Thanks again.

AW

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: