Wantig to change shower handle

Old 03-29-05, 05:33 AM
OctGrl
Visiting Guest
Question Wantig to change shower handle

I have a knob style shower handle that I want to change to a dial-style handle. I am not sure of what the brand is. My husband thought it was Moen, but there is no name on it and the sink faucet says Kohler (it doesn't look exactly the same, but close). I cannot afford to remove the tub/shower surround at this time and I cannot get to the plumbing from any other way. The chimney is directly behind it. Is there any way I can do this short of calling a plumber? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 03-29-05, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OctGrl, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You can change styles (looks) but not the type (way it works). I have seen a shower valve made for replacement jobs sort of like yours. The valve has a large oval coverplate that allows you access to change the valve and then it covers the hole. The plumber would need access also and would have to be very creative to do this job. Then the finish would be your responsibility as most plumbers do not do finish work. Good luck.

Old 03-29-05, 09:15 AM
OctGrl
Visiting Guest
Does changing from a knob to a dial change the way it works? All I want is a different handle. I really don't want to change anything else that's behind the surround. Would I need to change the valves in order to switch to a dial?

Old 03-29-05, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the knob moves in an up and down motion you will have to change the valve. If the knob moves in a turning motion as in left=off and right= on, you MIGHT be able to just change the knob. Most times you will have to change the valve as the connection may be different. If the knob is a push/pull type, you will have to change the valve.

Good luck with your projects

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: