American Standard "Plebe" toilet

Old 03-31-05, 06:55 PM
Nomad
Visiting Guest
American Standard "Plebe" toilet

I have a 20 year old toilet, American Standard "Plebe" model in the basement that upon flushing ,a large volume of air is released from a hole infront of toilet bowl drain, just as the flush cycle starts, then water rises quite high in the bowl and does a normal spin and exits. It requires 2 flushes to evacuate material in bowl completely and every time a volume of air is released when the flush cycle starts. I have 2 other American Standards same models upstairs and no such problem with a volume of air escaping first, and only one flush required. Any answers to where this air is coming from? And how to remedy this, as I think it will rectify the poor flush. Thankyou. ROB

Old 04-02-05, 06:54 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I had a toilet with similar problems. It seemed to me to be caused by improper venting. The toilet is not getting enough air in the pipes to move things along. Their might be a blockage. I cannot be 100% sure on this.

Old 04-02-05, 04:49 PM
Nomad
Visiting Guest
Question American Standard

Thanks Phil., I was kind of thinking the same thing, but no other plumbing is affected. As soon as I can will go on the roof and do a visual and put the garden hose in the vent to see what happens. I purchased a new fill valve and will install this first and see what happens? Any other ideas let me know, and if the fill valve is a sucess I will let the world know! LOL, Rob

Old 04-03-05, 06:53 AM
P
Sometimes birds fall down the stack. They can block off the air that is needed to flush. A garden hose in the stack sounds like the best idea. I need to do that myself. Maybe, taking the toilet up may be an idea. You will be able to put a snake down the pipe to make sure it is open. This is a lot of work and you may need some help from someone who has done it before. It doesn't sound like their is a problem with the toilet.
Phil

Old 04-04-05, 06:32 PM
Nomad
Visiting Guest
The toilet A.Standard

Hello Phil, thankyou for your concern, I removed toilet as am remodling bathroom and will proceed to snake. Installed flush kit before removal with little or no improvement on flush. I am thinking that you are right and on the weekend myself and the garden hose are going places(roof). I am still not convinced that it is not the toilet as it was very little used and feel that the washout (infront of drain in toilet bowl)could be plugged? I dont know enough about toilets to know where this hole originates and how the water gets there after the flush. Will let you know more when I find out.

Old 04-04-05, 08:46 PM
P
If the problem turns out to be the toilet then the best thing is to get rid of it. Its a lot cheeper to buy a new toilet then to try to fix the old one. For $40.00 you can buy a brand new toilet. I have one in my house, I put it in myself, it took about an hour and I love it. All the parts are new so I won't have to think about repairs for some time.

Phil

Old 04-08-05, 09:34 PM
Nomad
Visiting Guest
New toilet?

Hello Phil, thats cheap, $40- for a toilet, here in Canada it would be about $140-, it is just I'm not sure it is the toilet and once you install it with new wax seat seal you are an owner(no returns at that time) so then I got 2 toilets not working and still not solution....get my drift. I will try a reinstall of old one with new flush kit and seeing it is seldom used it will eventually become a forgotten issue( it only came to the forefront as I am renovating the bathroom). Thanks again...and away we go, back to the renovation. Presently I just installed a new corner shower and now on to the ceramic tile and reinstallation of sink and the dreaded TOILET!! LOL. Bye Rob

Old 04-09-05, 01:41 PM
P
Let me know if you can solve the problem. I have a basement toilet that is doing the same thing. The tenants don't use it that often so its not a hurry.
Yes $40 to $45 toilet and tank at Lowe's. Made in a place I cannot pronounce but it works great.

Phil

Old 04-30-05, 03:42 PM
buf
Visiting Guest
I once had a similar problem. I used a piece of a wire coat hanger and pushed one end of it into EACH of the little holes under the lip of the commode to dislodge and clean out the build up of water mineral deposits left there by infrequent use. Try it and I hope it helps you. It saved me the cost of a new commode and it's installation. Good luck.
Post back your "hoped for good results" so that we will all learn more about answers to these problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: