1950's plumbing

Old 04-09-05, 04:54 PM
kgt
Visiting Guest
1950's plumbing

I just bought a house built in 1953. I want to take out the kitchen sink because I'm getting ready to replace it. However, there are no shut-off valves for the hot and cold water under the countertop, or anywhere that I can see, for that matter. Neither the toilet nor bathroom sink have shutoff valves. I would like to change the sink/redo the kitchen without having to shut off the main water valve to the house. Also, the cabinetry was built in, so there is about 3" of water pipe between the bottom shelf of the cabinet and the sub-floor (which is currently invisible/unviewable), which could ostensibly house the valve, but that seems ridiculously inaccessible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - either on where to find a valve (if any) or on how to change the sink without losing water to the house.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-05, 05:01 PM
kgt, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Back then, dollars were shaved by not installing shut-off valves. If you cannot find any either in the crawlspace or basement, you will be forced to shut off the main water supply while you install them. You will probably also have galvanized pipe for your water supplies. You are not in a good position. Let us know what you have and we will help you get it fixed. Sorry, I can't change what you inherited with the house, but together we can make it work for you. Good luck.