Venting Kitchen Sink with Window Above

Old 04-20-05, 06:47 PM
codys
Visiting Guest
Venting Kitchen Sink with Window Above

I have new construction of my kitchen, and have a problem venting the kitchen sink drain. The sink is centered under a window (exterior wall). The window is to be 4 inches above top of sink/countertop and my plumber says he must run the vent line vertically up to 6 inches above sink/countertop. That's where my window is supposed to be!

Can the vent line go either horizontal or sloped prior to reaching a point 6 inches above my sink top? Any other ideas on how this is usually solved. The Uniform Buiding Code is in effect, and I understand Studer valves are not approved (or maybe not even a good idea)

Thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-05, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
codys, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
If you think about it, MOST kitchen sinks have a window above them. Code allows for vent lines to be run horizontal. You should have no problem with this. Good luck on your project.

Old 04-20-05, 08:24 PM
codys
Visiting Guest
Yes, most kitchens certainly do have a similar layout. But my plumber cites UBC code as the reason he just can't move these pipes -- that the vertical stack has to in fact be vertical up to 42" before making a turn. Can you say with certainty that this is not really so (that's my suspicion). Can you perhaps point to some language in the code that gives this flexibility. It would really help us get this job re-designed to meet my objectives.

Thank you again!

Old 04-20-05, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think to be safe and give you an honest answer, you should call your local code office and ask them how this can be achieved. I hate to say things that may not be true in all areas. One call should take care of the problem. The 3 States I have lived and done work in, allow the vent to be run horizontal, but I hesitate to state that everywhere is the same. Good luck.