Chronic clogged toilet

Old 05-04-05, 10:15 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Chronic clogged toilet

I have a American Standard Cadet toilet installed professionally 3 years ago and it tends to get clogged about once every 3 months. I use the "One Second Plumber" (which uses compressed air in a canister) and usually that does the trick. There are only two of us in the house (i.e., 2 adults, no kids), so I think this is consider "normal" use of the toilet. Is there anything I can do to prevent this nuisance?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-05, 10:29 AM
akw999, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
There are several causes for clogged plumbing and many ways to check for reasons.
The toilet itself may have something restricting the trap that is built into it. A Closet Auger can be used to clear this.
A vent may be plugged and not letting enough air into the system for complete flushes. In your case this is doubtful if none of the other fixtures suffer from slow or clogged drains.
Do you have trees that may be growing roots into the main drainline going to the sewer? Solids and paper can wrap around the roots and when you use the air product, you clear a big enough hole to allow current waste to flow by but it reseals quickly.
These are but a few things to check on. Good luck.

Old 05-04-05, 11:52 AM
A
Thanks and I'm amazed how quick the response is

My problem toilet is in the upstairs bathroom. My other toilet in the basement works fine, but it is not used very often. All of the other sinks, tubs, drain properly. We do not have any big trees in our lot, but there are some bushes, shrubs, etc.

Is there any simple preventative maintenance? Should I pour warm or hot water into the toilet every now and then? Are there any signs of an impending clog? Or is this something I will have to live with?

Again, thanks very much for your advice.

Old 05-04-05, 11:23 PM
There are Enzymes drain cleaners that work if you follow the label directions. Caustic drain cleaners make a hole in the clog and then go down the drain, leaving the rest of the clog to reform. Enzyme drain cleaners cling to the clog and "eat" it. Drain Care is one such cleaner. It takes overnight and may require more than one treatment but DOES work. It is about $8 at most Home Improvement stores, Walmart, Ace and other hardware stores and even some supermarkets. A jug will do a lot of treatments. Use the hot water as directed. Good luck.