Bathtub Faucet Valve Seat Won't Budge

Old 05-12-05, 07:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bathtub Faucet Valve Seat Won't Budge

HELP!!! DESPERATE HOUSEWIFE!!
!I have had it! I assumed since the water in the bathtub faucet would not stop running when the faucets were both in the "off" position, it just needed the little washer on the end of the stem replaced. (I wish!) I first removed the valve stem on the cold water faucet, the stems on both hot & cold were really rough, so I decided to just replace them. The actual working end with the washer attached was chipped up . A new washer would a waste of time that way. This is a old house with old plumbing, so they had to be specially ordered. I finally got down to the seat valve, which was pretty rough. It came out fairly easy. I reinstalled all new stuff on cold water side, and turned the water back on, ......and it ran just as bad as before. So, I deduced it had to be the hot side, now my problem is the valve seat won't budge at all on the hot water side. I used a multi-size seat wrench, but it feels as though it is stretched alot, and looks that way too. Part of the top of the valve seat is completing gone. I have tried a liquid wrench type product, but still no go. What else is there to do? Light a M-80 and throw it in? Please help me. I have grown fond of running water, and especially baths...

Old 05-12-05, 09:59 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Joneq has used a fat screw extractor in cases like this, As a matter of fact it is my first choice. It looks like a fat drill bit maybe 1/2" at its widest. You stick it in a socket wrench and unscrew the seat 100% of the time. If you use a valve seat remover it should have been a good on the cheap ones are soft. I had to grind off the tip because it bottomed out before it gripped the seat. Easier to get a wide one in the first place not too wide though. Bring the replacement seat to the store with you. I am looking for a pic. It came in a set of 3. Here is a pic' Look in sears tomorrow it is opening early for a sale I think.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/extractors.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: