Can I replace tub/shower with shower only?

Old 05-15-05, 09:55 AM
giveingitashot
Visiting Guest
Question Can I replace tub/shower with shower only?

Hi -
I am looking at remodeling a basement bathroom. It currently has a tiny (54") tub/shower enclosure. I would like to replace it with a large shower stall instead (48"). I have a couple questions tho:

1. What plumbing changes do I need to deal with? ie: where the water is turned on in the shower is probably higher than where it is in the tub/shower, isn't it?

2. Do the 'prefabricated' shower stalls slope either right or left, or are they all drained in the center - how would I move the drain that is currently on the left end of the tub if the shower drain is in the middle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Theresa

Old 05-15-05, 12:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
giveingitashot, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You will want to change the height of the shower faucet. Since it is no longer going to be a tub, you will need a new standard shower valve. This should not be a problem in replacing. The other plumbing problem MAY be the drain. Most codes require a 2" drain for showers. Tubs (even with showers) require only 1 1/2" drains.
I am not sure about the slopes on shower stalls. You would have to look around, or call around to find one with the drain opening on one side. Otherwise, you will have to move the drainline. If code says it has to be 2", you will be working on it anyways. Good luck.

Old 05-16-05, 06:08 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Saw the same post with similar questions in the basements forum. Shower pans with very high curbs are available to retofit into an existing tub area with either left or right drains, but will not accomodate your wish of making a 48" shower, where the drain is normally centered, as they are 60" long. The conversion of 1 1/2" drain to 2" drain is the entire length back to the main stack too, not just a coupler on 1 1/2 and a 2" inner diameter extension.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: