Toilet leaking around base

Old 05-24-05, 10:52 PM
tbrannies
Visiting Guest
Toilet leaking around base

Hi!

Huge problem here, I hope someone can help. I don't know all the technical terms for what I'm talking about, so please bear with me.

I am remodeling my bathroom and long story short, found out the floor under the toilet was rotted. We took up the toilet and vinyl, and my husband, in his zeal to get the rotted floor up, removed the closet flange or ring (it just came off in pieces very easily). We tried to find a new ring (it's just the ring that the toilet bolts are held down by, not the actual pipe the water/waste goes down), but we haven't had any luck. (I just googled this and found what I was looking for - I think my husband wasn't asking for the correct item at our local store.)

We cut a new piece of 3/4" wood to put down over the subfloor (same thickness as what was there before) and left a hole to fit around the pipe coming out of the floor. Should the floor be level with the top of that pipe? If/when I find a replacement ring, should that sit on the floor, or be level with the floor?

We are dying here, as this is the only toilet in our house and we thought it would be an easy job and now we're on day three without a toilet. Please advise if this is something we can fix on our own, or if we should call a plumber. Thanks much in advance for any help!

Old 05-25-05, 11:04 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The ring should go on top of the finished floor.

http://www.google.com/search?q=installing+closet+flange

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: