broken pipe inside a fitting

Old 05-29-05, 08:31 PM
lxw
Visiting Guest
broken pipe inside a fitting

I was removing my shower head and the pipe snapped leaving a piece of the pipe threaded to the fitting behind the tile. Is there any tool that i can stick inside the pipe and expand it so i will be able to remove this broken piece of pipe. Maybe heat will expand or loosen it. HELP

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-05, 08:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
lxw, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You need a 1/2" pipe extractor. These can be purchased at home centers and hardware stores. Make sure you say "pipe" size. Otherwise you may get a 1/2" bolt extractor. Stick it into the remaining piece of pipe and turn counter-clockwise. As you turn it, it will tighten into the pipe and remove it. Good luck.

Old 10-15-13, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just a quick thank you to lxw for posting this question (guess what happened to me this morning) and to majakdragon for the solution to the problem. glad i don't have to rip out my shower to fix this one.

i'm assuming the pipe broke under the weight of my shower rack: from the looks of the pipe, it was still in pretty good shape. i had run into this when i put a filter on a kitchen faucet: the faucet eventually started leaking. silly me didn't apply that scenario to my shower.

so be careful with shower racks! (and filters designed to go directly onto a faucet...) i was lucky that it didn't break off while i was actually using the shower, so (as far as i can tell) no water damage.

thanks again to you both!

Old 10-16-13, 06:26 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hi Take a #10 file , tap the wide end in the broken pipe, turn out the broken pipe.
Good Luck Woodbtcher