Bathtub Drain

Old 05-30-05, 10:58 AM
aso1648
Visiting Guest
Bathtub Drain

How do i get the tub drain to unscrew from the tub. All there is is the round metal drain piece that i guess screws onto the tub drain. Cannot get this loose to unscrew from tub.
Thanks.....Alex

Old 05-30-05, 02:59 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can always try using a couple of screwdrivers to unscrew it. However, your local home improvement store should have a special tool in the plumbing section that has a couple of prongs sticking out one (or both) of the ends that allow you to unscrew the tub drain. It is called something like, "ub drain removal tool".

Shawn

Old 05-30-05, 03:06 PM
aso1648
Visiting Guest
screwdrivers

I dont have anything to insert the screwdrivers into. There is no cover on the drain connection

Old 05-30-05, 05:45 PM
B
Typically, when the drain cover is removed (which is held in place by a single screw), at the bottom of the drain basket is a piece of metal bisecting the drain basket. This piece is the receiving end for the screw. If you do not have this the only other way I can think of is to use a recripocating saw and careful cut through the drain basket so that you can bend it and remove it. However, I am not a plumber so there may be a better solution.

Old 05-30-05, 06:00 PM
aso1648
Visiting Guest
drain basket

Thanks for the info, will probably need the saw, no drain cover and no receiving place for a screw. Just the metal piece around the tub drain.
Thanks..........Alex

Old 05-30-05, 08:16 PM
I would not use a recripocating saw in the bathtub,I would however make a couple of notches in the edge of the drain basket. These can be made with a chisel to help turn the basket. Make sure you tap the basket in a counter-clockwise direction. This should loosen up the basket and allow it to unscrew.

Good luck with your project.

Old 05-31-05, 04:22 PM
aso1648
Visiting Guest
chisel

Thanks MajkD....I think I'll try this. The chisel sounds like a good idea.
Thanks..........Alex

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: