Toilet flange too high-help

Old 06-21-05, 11:15 AM
miker
Visiting Guest
Toilet flange too high-help

I just finished the floor with new tile. Now putting on the new toilet is an issue the flange (metal--brass/copper?) is too high- the toilet rocks back and forth on top.

The pipe seems to be welded to the flange and I just can't shove it down as it seems to hit the rafters (bathroom is upstairs), although I can pull it up another 2 inches which of course does not help me.

DO I call a plumber? Hacksaw off pipe and try to replace flange? Can I replace with PVC type and seal it to the old pipe effectively?

any hints or answers would be great!!!

miker

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-05, 08:06 PM
isaacvs
Visiting Guest
You shouldn't be able to pull the flange up at all. It should be screwed to the floor. If it isn't, that could be why your toilet is rocking.

If it is too high, though, you'll probably have to replace it. You can attach PVC to copper with a Fernco coupling. Cut the copper pipe with a reciprocating saw or a hacksaw.

Old 06-23-05, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the pipe is cast you will have to use a no-hub fitting that goes from cast iron to the composition of the new pipe.
Good luck with your project

Old 06-25-05, 06:02 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is a good tip for Ya. Just shim the the back,front and sides and caulk around the base and all should be good.