Replacing toilet flange

Old 06-24-05, 02:12 PM
Bobmckenzie
Visiting Guest
Replacing toilet flange

I have a similar issue to Miker who posted a couple of days ago - my flange is too high now that I've re-tiled the bathroom floor. When I put my toilet back on (dry-fit without wax ring to try it out) I found it was resting on the flange and not with the perimeter of the toilet resting on the floor.
Assuming my only real fix is to lower the flange somehow, I was wondering about replacing it. The flange fits into a 4" waste pipe and is glued to the waste pipe and the flange is screwed down to the floor. I was considering cutting the flange off with a hacksaw but because I only need to lower it about 1/4 of an inch, I wanted to ask - are there any other options open? and if I try and cut it off and replace it, given the flange is glued into the waste pipe, can I simply use a flange that is for a 3" pipe and have it sitting well inside the waste pipe? (i saw a 4" to 3" "converter" flange at my hardware store).
Thanks in advance for your help.
Bob

Old 06-25-05, 11:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Without being able to see your specific situation, you will have to find a closet flange that is water tight to the existing pipe whether it be compression rubber or solvent weld.

Take pictures and provide links for them on this thread.

Old 06-29-05, 01:41 PM
Bobmckenzie
Visiting Guest
Replacing Toilet Flange - alternate path being pursued

Thanks for the response. I decided I didn't want to mess with the flange and so I'm focusing on raising the floor somehow. To start with, I went and bought thicker tile - 3/8" instead of the 1/4" I was planning on using. If I find that is not quite enough (should leave me with only a small gap, maybe 1/8"), then I have bought some shower pan liner material to use to "raise" the floor level about 1/8". I thought the liner folded over twice should give me that kind of thickness and I was just going to cut out the 7" hole I need for the flange. A colleague also told me to consider using a sheet of plywood and that is sounding good to me right now.
Can I ask - what makes more sense? I think the plywood would make me feel better, and I expect there are some pressure treated kinds available that would help with water resistance (although I plan to have no leaks ). I don't know what kind of thicknesses are available. I hope there is a 1/8" thickness available because I'm looking for something easy to cut and I don't want to add too much height.
Any comments appreciated!!
Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: