Problems with Closet Flange

Old 06-29-05, 11:24 AM
bosoxfan
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Problems with Closet Flange

I'm in the middle of replacing a 20yr old toilet that was not flushing well (clogging, etc.) and would at times leak from underneath. Well I realized once I removed the toilet that the leaking was due to the wax ring seal being broken, but now there appear to be larger problems.

The PVC closet flange that is in place appears to this first-time plumber to be an offset type that was installed backwards. Isn't the offset supposed to reach forward and drain in the back? This goes the other way. The other issue is that the top of the flange where the wax ring seals is oval-shaped rather than round, which constricts to form a smaller, football-shaped opening when the wax ring (with sleeve) is in place. That would explain the clogging. I'm trying to find an easy (and cheap of course!) solution to this problem that doesn't involve cutting off the flange and cementing a new one on the drainpipe. Would mounting a flange reinforcement ring on top of the existing flange force a round opening and create a better seal, or would it just complicate things?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!! I also have photos that might help describe the problem if needed.

Old 06-30-05, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Those offset flanges are notorious for clogging, along with almost impossible to use a closet auger on them.

I would get extensive and make this a permanent repair which would involve taking the flange out completely and using a different flange and be done with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: