Moen Shower Faucet Stripped??

Old 06-30-05, 06:09 PM
dingdong
Visiting Guest
Moen Shower Faucet Stripped??

My shower faucet started behaving oddly last night. It is a single faucet that rotates counter clockwise. Off at 6:00 - hottest at 9:00. Last night - I found that as I turned the knob no water came out of the shower head until the knob reach between 2:00 and 3:00and then only hot water would come out.

I tried to remove the faucet. I popped off the cap and it revealed a single screw. I thought I could remove the faucet by unscrewing that screw. Nope! As I turn the screw the water turns on. As I continue turning the screw the water changes temperature until it turns off. At that point - I can continue turning the screw and the water will come back on.

Am I doing something wrong, or is something stripped?

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-05, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The internal stop on the handle sounds like it is broken.

I would cut into the handle to stop the movement of the stem, replace handle and cartridge to correct the problem you are having.

Old 07-01-05, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a PosiTemp model. If you can only get hot water, the balancing spool could be stuck. Go to Moen website to see pics of how to diassemble and replace the 1222 cartridge.

Old 07-01-05, 10:12 AM
dingdong
Visiting Guest
Thank you both.

I will first try to see if I was doing something wrong with my attempt at the faucet disassembly at Moen.com. If I was doing it correctly, it sounds like I need to cut off the handle. What should I use to do that? A hacksaw?

Thanks again!