UNEVEN sitting toilet!

Old 07-07-05, 05:30 AM
MaryJane
Visiting Guest
UNEVEN sitting toilet!

Hi! New toilet was installed; however, there's a bit of gap on one side up front between bowl and ceramic floor and tiny bit of wobble that I'm cushioning with matches(!). What could be causing this? Could it be the wax seal thing that's causing this off balance? Everything on the new toilet works fine and no leaks and wondering where the problem could be before we take it all apart again. Thanks, Mary Jane

Old 07-07-05, 11:01 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lots of things can cause a toilet wobble. Uneven floor, tile, bottom of toilet bowl. They make plastic toilet shims for this purpose which should tell you that you are not alone with this problem.

Old 07-07-05, 11:10 AM
miker
Visiting Guest
mine too- where to get shims?

I have the same problem. One reason is that the bolts in my new Kohler toilet are closer to the back so tightening those makes the front come up! How much is too much wobble (front to back)?

Old 07-07-05, 11:35 AM
miker,
ANY wobble no matter what direction is bad. This will break the flange, seal and/or toilet base. Toilets need a flat, stable surface to sit on and function properly.

Place a level on the bowl,front to back and side to side and shim it until its level all the way around. For looks you can run a bead of caulk around the base of the toilet. Leave the back open for future leak detection.
Good luck

Old 07-07-05, 05:12 PM
MaryJane
Visiting Guest
Shimming Uneven Toilet Bowl

First, thanks for responding . . . much appreciated.
What would you recommend I shim the toilet with (regular wood shims as they use in construction, or is there a particular item available?)?
And then, the gap is actually too big to chaulk for covering the separation between floor and toilet!
Should I perhaps try replacing the wax ring - could that have caused the gap? The original old toilet had a gap that I did chaulk years ago (but this toilet broke) and the new toilet-to-floor gap is even so I wonder what could have caused this (thinking perhaps the construction of new bowl!)?
Mary Jane

Old 07-07-05, 05:16 PM
MaryJane
Visiting Guest
Wobbling Toilet

Originally Posted by miker
I have the same problem. One reason is that the bolts in my new Kohler toilet are closer to the back so tightening those makes the front come up! How much is too much wobble (front to back)?
Interesting to find someone else with such a problem; and yes, I'm afraid of breaking the new set! The wobble is not much with the match case supporting the bowl, but it's still there and I know shouldn't be there.

Old 07-07-05, 10:48 PM
MaryJane, Was the toilet flange even with, or sitting ON the floor when you set the toilet? The gap you have is WAY too much. I am thinking that the flange also has a gap between the bottom of the flange and the floor. There is just no reason for the toilet to sit that high off the floor. The flange should screwed down to the floor which would be hard if it wasn't even with or on the floor. Only reason I could think of that the wax seal would cause this is if you bought an extra thick (they do sell them) wax seal. I would remove the toilet and take a flat board and hold it across the bottom of the toilet (across the hole) and see how much room there is. This will be the same distance you have to the floor.
One last, and highly doubtful, problem that the wax seal could cause. Is it the type wax seal with the plastic horn in it? Was it installed with the horn downwards into the pipe? Thats the way it should be. If not, it could be causing the toilet to sit up on the horn and not sit on the floor. Please reply back and let us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: