leak at shower arm to elbow connection

Old 07-08-05, 01:46 PM
shunpiker
Visiting Guest
leak at shower arm to elbow connection

Here's my story. My daughter grabbed hold of our (only) shower arm and broke it off at the elbow behind the wall. My problem started when I attempted to remove the threaded portion still in the elbow. I tried one of those cam type easy out devises...the shower arm threads simply ground away. It turned out that the shower arm was crome plated plastic. So after consulting a Home Depot plumber guy who had no ideas, I ground out the plastic treads with a drill router bit, then cleaned out the threads with a wire brush, and then installed a new metal shower arm making sure to use a layer of teflon tape. It leaked. I tried a thicker layer of teflon tape. It leaked. I tried pipe joint compound. It leaked. I tried teflon tape and pipe joint compound. It leaked. Now the threads on the shower arm appears slightly bent so I'm now going to buy a new shower arm and attempt the connection with a hefty layer on teflon tape. By the way there is not acces panel. To replace the elbow I would either gave to cut a hole in the tiled shower wall or remove a nicely insalled cabinet on the other side of the shower wall. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-05, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The cabinet can hide the hole when the doors are shut....

Old 07-09-05, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is likely the elbow is damaged beyond the ability for tape and sealant to stop leaks.The threads are also apparently damaged to the point that the shower arm is cross threading.This is interesting since the arm was apparently plastic and suggests attepts to remove the plastic remnants did the damage.If an arm will properly and completely thread into the elbow you might get by with sealants such as "plumber's goop" (the actual name of the product) or Permatex and simular gasket makers.Load up the elbow and arm,screw in in with the sealant fresh and let it all dry before trying it out.This may or may not work but you're at a point of that or replacement.