Brown Water Comes Out

Old 08-02-05, 07:01 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brown Water Comes Out

We had a shower added to a tub 4 months ago. Ever since, when the water first starts coming out, the first 'splat' is brown. Just for a second.

It seems the longer it goes not being used, the browner or bigger the brown splat seems to be.

If there is just real short time, there is no brown.

The house was built in 69 and the new copper was installed above and connected to the old tub pipe.

Will it stop? And why is it still brown? I thought it was from having the pipe activity, stirring up rust, etc in the pipes, but why hasn't it stopped yet?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-05, 07:08 PM
SOMEWHERE in the house there is a galvanized nipple. Copper doesn't corrode and cause brown water. It will not go away until the source does. Good luck.

Old 08-02-05, 07:14 PM
F
I'm sure there is a lot of galvanized pipes. But the shower pipe that was installed above the galvanized pipe is copper.

I don't remember this tub ever having brown water come out before the shower was installed.

No other faucet does it.

Old 08-03-05, 07:05 PM
The copper may have been tied into the galvanized without using a Di-electric union or fitting. When dissimilar metals are connected together, electrolosis occurs. This causes a chemical reaction that may be what you are experiencing. Good luck.