Installing new stoper in sink

Old 08-03-05, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing new stoper in sink

I'm installing a new stopper in the batroom sink. The faucett is the one handle type. I'm having trouble getting the rubber gaskett that is at the bottom of the sink t pull up and seal all the way around. Ive cleaned all around the inside of the whole and even took sandpaper and smothed the bottom of any barbs or rust. Still it is not pulling up and sealing on one side. Any sugestions?

Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-05, 03:57 PM
It could be that the gasket is a wee bit small and is rolling up as you tighten the nut. You might try sanding a little on the gasket hole. Also try using some Petroleum jelly on the inside of the gasket so it will slide better. Good luck.

Old 08-05-05, 05:50 PM
Tried the petroleum jelly and even a new gasket. No matter what it still leaks. Above the gaskett the sink is tapered all the way around and over the years some crud and rust has built up in this groove. I could chip most of it out but on one side its so thick and hard that if you try chipping it away the sink itself chips too. Time for a new sink I guess. Way too much time already spent on this.

Jim