Installing a new shower and fixture

Old 08-20-05, 11:43 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a new shower and fixture

I'm remodeling my basement bathroom and bought a Kholer, one piece 60in fiberglass shower enclosure. I bought a Moen tub and shower fixture to install, and just plan on plugging the hole in the cartridge for the tub spout.

The instructions that came with the fixture are not real clear, and don't give much help on where or how to locate it in the framing. They do show the vertical location from the bottom of the tub to the fixture body should be 32", but that sure seems way low to me. I think I will go with 48" for that dimension.

But one thing I'm not clear on is how are these units uaually attached to the framing, or are they? The one I removed, which was an old style dual handle fixture, was not really attached to any frameing and was pretty much hanging free once I removed the sheetrock.

Should I run a board behind it to attach it to, or will the pipeing be enough support? It does appear to have some holes to run a couple screws through the the flanges of this thing. This would be much easier if I was just going to hang sheetrock over it, but with the fiberglass enclosure the location will need to be exact.

I've just started frameing the wall and I am trying to do so with this thing in mind and hopefully have it all come out correctly when finished. Of course, the wall of the enclosure is inset about two inches, so that doesn't help the situation any.

Some tips from you guys who have done this before would be much appreciated.

Old 08-20-05, 12:40 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have always installed a couple 2 x 4's between the studs and used copper pipe clamps to hold the piping in place. It stops vibrations when the water is flowing and you will want the shower arm elbow secured in case you ever have to change it out. Nothing worse than unscrewing the shower arm and hearing the pipe fall against the wall or studs. Make sure that you have the proper distances for the shower valve before you secure the piping in place. Good luck with your project.

Old 08-20-05, 01:39 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nothing worse than unscrewing the shower arm and hearing the pipe fall against the wall or studs
Yep...that would really be a bummer...good tip.

Thanks for the tips, majakdragon.

Randy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: