groaning pipes

Old 08-15-05, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
groaning pipes

my house has developed a case of groaning pipes. it wasnt that way when i bought the house 3 years ago - it may have begun after i added an automatic sprinkler system, but i didnt notice it immediately, so that is a pure guess. the groan happens in several situations: when a toilet is refilling, and also when one of my exterior faucets is used (full flow).
fwiw, we have three different brands of toilets - with different brands of flush valves (recent low-flow AS, 20 year old Kohler, and a 20 year old AS with a VERY nonstandard fill valve - so i don't think that "replace the flush valve" is the issue. I can feel the vibration in a lot of the piping in the basement, and can dampen it a bit by pushing some of the pipes pretty hard to the side - maybe it's just my hand absorbing the vibration, probably not because i've moved things around.
i'm open to suggestions.. unfortunately, not all of the basement piping is open to access ..
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-05, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To see if it is the toilet fill valves, turn off the water at the toilet supply valve (one at a time) and see if the noise is still present. Bad rubber washers usually create this sound. They get old and shred. then they act like a reed instrument. Could be one toilet and the outside faucet also. Problems can come in pairs. Good luck and reply back with any questions or the solution you find.