How long to replace kitchen sink and faucet?

Old 08-15-05, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How long to replace kitchen sink and faucet?

I have given up on repairing my Delta faucet. I have replaced every part that Delta suggested, and I am over it. So I said the heck with it, and bought a new Moen. Decided to treat myself and bought a new SS kitchen sink too. The old one is a cheap builder-grade sink, and is 11 yrs old, so it's looking pretty ragged.

Home Depot will charge me $270 to install the sink and faucet, that includes re-installing the disposal. I called a plumber (that I have had here before - I thought they did a good job) and they said that they will charge $84.95 and hour, and it will probably take a couple of hours. Does that sound reasonable? Any reason to go with an HD install over a plumber?

Oh - also - I went with Moen cuz I could not find a similar Delta. No experience in this - is Moen an okay brand?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-05, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would go with the plumber.....someone you know and trusted before.

Moen's are troublesome to rebuild years later.......but you already know that you haven't had much luck with Delta either. My preference is Delta over Moen; either one will send replacement parts for their product for years to come.

Old 08-16-05, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not being facetious when I say that replaceing a kitchen sink could take 2 hours or 2 days. You did not indicate whether it was a dop in, a tile-in, or an undermount. Are you absolutely sure that the new sink is a properly sized replacement? If all these details have been addressed, great!

Did HD look at the job, or is that a flat rate? If so, it is probalby based on about 1 1/2 to 2 hours work. I would recommend that you buy a cartful of assorted new drain fittings for under the sink. Usually, much of it needs to be redone to line up the new sink. Not a lot of work, but the materials will be much cheaper if you have them on hand than if you have to pay the HD installer his truck price. And you can return the leftovers.

All in all, if you have a plumber who comes recommended, even though you pay him a few bucks extra for the supplies, he is probably more skilled than the guy from the depot. Either might work out great or you might get burned by either. What a country!

Old 08-16-05, 09:13 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The sink measures exactly what my old does, so seems to me that it should fit. It is a drop-in, double sink. The only thing that is different is that the old sink had the faucet openings centered in the middle. The new sink has the openings over to the right behind one sink, so that the left sink is longer - back to front - allows a bit more room. Would that be a problem?

No - HD has not looked at anything - they just gave a flat rate for the install.

I know nothing about "drain fittings". I have a garbage disposal, and a dishwasher. When you say "cartful" - how on earth would I know what to buy???

OOPS!! It's not a Moen - it's a Kohler faucet....good? Not good??

Last edited by yardnut; 08-16-05 at 05:45 PM.