PLEASE....Help me replace shower faucet handles

Old 08-18-05, 02:22 PM
Teri Martin
Visiting Guest
Question PLEASE....Help me replace shower faucet handles

I think I need to replace the faucet handles in my shower. They spin and spin but don't shut the water off or turn it on without having to push them in very hard. We can never get the water to turn off completely. I think I just need to replace the handles, but I think I need to shut the water off first and don't know where to start. Please HELP!!!!

Last edited by Teri Martin; 08-18-05 at 02:24 PM. Reason: want it to be more persuasive
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-05, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Teri Martin, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
If it is just the handles, you do not need to turn the water off. There should be caps on the end of the handles that cover the screws you need to remove. Pop the caps off with a screwdriver or knife. Remove the screw(s) and pull the handles off. What may have happened. There are splines (look like little gears) that hold the handle to the stem. The handle splines may have broke off as most are plastic. Once the old handles are removed you can replace them. Good luck.

Old 08-20-05, 11:34 PM
cliddle
Visiting Guest
There should be caps on the end of the handles that cover the screws you need to remove. Pop the caps off with a screwdriver or knife.
I have been trying to do this for two years now!! No success. It's in my shower. It's a single lever/device. You know the one..Moen, clear acrylic teardrop shape. There is absolutely no indentation in the nameplate to place any knife/screwdriver. Swear to God. I'm about ready to take a hammer to it which when I think about it..that is how forceful I'm gonna have to be to get any knife blade in. I'm sssooooo pulling my hair out over this.
Makes me think there is some secret I don't know about. My bath is 7-8 yrs old and I've seen my handle in HD/Lowe's and those have a small notch in them.

Old 08-21-05, 12:39 AM
Is it anything like this ?

Old 08-21-05, 08:24 AM
Teri

majak dragon is right. If you can't find a way to get the handle off through the front look for a set screw on the side, it may be that the screw has come loose and need to be tightened up. You should not need to replace more then the handle. If that dosen't work, we have to go to phase two. Don't kill it yet!

Old 08-21-05, 02:38 PM
cliddle
Visiting Guest
On page 2 at the top that is basically mine except for the shape (mine is teardrop not round). I have twisted & turned the ding dang handle looking for a hidden screw underneath..there is none. The screw has to be behind the nameplate..I just need to find something super thin plus strong (so it won't bend) so I can get the dang handle off. The soft water has settled behind the acrylic & I can't get in there to clean. So, I figured I would probably destroy it just so I can clean it so I might as buy a new one. I just hate to pay plumber's fees when this is supposed to be so freakin simple.