Leaky sink drain pipe, idiot plumber wanna be

Old 08-18-05, 11:16 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Leaky sink drain pipe, idiot plumber wanna be

Had someone install new sink in 2 bathrooms; leak coming from joint where lavatory joins drain pipe. BOTH of them!!! This guy has been here 4 times to fix this and it still leaks!!!! Before I cut my losses, and call in someone else, maybe someone has a suggestion. Note this is a "regular" handy man, not a licensed plumber. (big mistake, but how hard can it be, right?)

Everything I've read so far, leads me to think that the threads should have been wrapped with teflon, or pipe compound applied before joining them. Is this correct? if so, he did not do that .Gasket is there and in place. I know because I had my nose there trying to figure this out!! HELP!!

I do know that he put the putty on the metal part fitting onto the drain outlet inside the sink, but that's it. (can you tell I don't know a lot of the correct terminology LOL) Need some ideas here!!

Old 08-18-05, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You are correct that teflon or pipe dope should have been used on the threads. Doubtful that it will ever seal without it.

Old 08-18-05, 11:35 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Excellent!!! that's what I thought. Too dang bad I have to do his work for him figuring this out! Think I'll go to plumbing school and take on a new career! Just kidding.

Also, I was reading other posts here and one said that plumbers putty should not be used with marble; these are cultured marble, white, does that still apply? Do we need to remove this now and use silicone instead?

Thanks!

Old 08-18-05, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There is an oil in the Plumbers putty that will discolor marble. The can usually states that it should not be used on Marble.
The threads on the tailpiece that is leaking are fine threads. Your handyman may have cross threaded it. It should only take one or two wraps of tape,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: