leak free solution?

Old 08-26-05, 10:23 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leak free solution?

Hi,
I have recently tiled my bathroom and want to confirm the advice I was given. I was told not to worry about the heigth for the flange as it was set in concrete in a basement. The tile thickness is approximately 3/8" higher than the flange and I was sold some reusable flange gaskets of different thicknesses. He said just install the gaskets that bring you above the new floor height and leave a bit of gasket above for a seal on the horn. He made no mention of a plummers putty or any type of caulk product around the toilet. Is this the correct way or is there a better way to seal this toilet? Thank you in advance!

Old 08-26-05, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
These "gaskets", are they plastic? If so, they are called flange extenders. They should have a seal substance on one side to seal it to the original flange. These also have to be attached to the floor through the holes provided (4) in the original flange and the extender.
The choice of caulk or putty is yours. It isn't needed and will have nothing to do with the toilet leaking. The wax seal you install will do that. If you decide to caulk, grout, or putty the base of the bowl, I would suggest leaving the back side of the bowl open. This way, if you do have a leak, it will show up faster instead of seeping into or under the tile until it starts loosening them and you have a major repair job to do. Good luck.

Old 08-26-05, 01:08 PM
J
Hi Majakdragon, and thank you for the reply. The gaskets in question seem to be made of an almost rubber-foam like consitiency. No plastic or wax like a traditional seal. I guess that is why I was questioning them. I have used the typical wax "jonny ring" in the past but never these reusable ones. Is there a better product to use to achieve leak free results in my application? I am open to suggestions. Thanks!

By the way: I love the "crunchy & tatses good with ketchup"

Old 08-26-05, 03:39 PM
I have not seen what they gave you but I would get a flange extender (or 2) to make up the difference in height between the existing flange and the tile. Being an "old time " plumber, I stick with what has worked for years. I have read in these Forums about a new seal that is reusable. What I read were complaints. I would use the wax seal and make sure to sit the bowl straight down onto it. This is about as close to leak free as can be obtained. Good luck.
Glad you like my signiture. Used to read:" If you have never made a mistake, you haven't done much."

Old 08-27-05, 08:21 AM
Toilet flange

Originally Posted by jaws
Hi,
I have recently tiled my bathroom and want to confirm the advice I was given. I was told not to worry about the heigth for the flange as it was set in concrete in a basement. The tile thickness is approximately 3/8" higher than the flange and I was sold some reusable flange gaskets of different thicknesses. He said just install the gaskets that bring you above the new floor height and leave a bit of gasket above for a seal on the horn. He made no mention of a plummers putty or any type of caulk product around the toilet. Is this the correct way or is there a better way to seal this toilet? Thank you in advance!
What you were told is wrong, the flange should be on the top of the tile, but you can work with what you have. Use what is called a Kant-leak or if you can't find them use two wax seals..Putty has been banned in this situation for many years. Caulking is your call, on a lower floor you can get away with it not going all around the bowl; on a upper floor don't do this! Luck.

Old 08-27-05, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by shacko
What you were told is wrong, the flange should be on the top of the tile, but you can work with what you have.
If the flange does not set on the top of the finished floor,or at least level with it,the wax seal(one or even more)can fail. You need a couple of flange extenders(spacer rings) to bring the flange to the top of or level with the finished floor. Below is a picture of a flange extender(spacer ring). They come in different thicknesses to suit your needs. These are available at Home Centers, Hardware stores, and Plumbing Supply houses, even here at DIY Shopping. They run around $4 each depending on the thickness(thinner is less,thicker is more)

Originally Posted by shako
Use what is called a Kant-leak or if you can't find them use two wax seals..
Kant-leak is a wax seal with a plastic funnel imbeded in the wax. The plastic funnel is supposed to direct the water and waste into the waste drain. Kant-leak is a brand name and deceptive at that. They CAN leak just like any other wax seal and cost almost double. Some local codes do not allow these plastic funnels.

Putty has been banned in this situation for many years.
Putty used on the flange to create a seal between the flange and the underside of the toilet will serve no purpose. Plumbers putty is not designed to create a seal for this much water and force.

Caulking is your call, on a lower floor you can get away with it not going all around the bowl; on a upper floor don't do this! Luck.
Caulking/grouting is generally done for looks not sealing against leaks. This is normally done whether the toilet is in the basement or the attic. The puropse of leaving the back open is for early detection of a leak from a failed wax seal. It is much easier to repair a leak when it starts(water will run out the back of the toilet base when left open) than it is when you see the contaminated water running through your ceiling(completly enclosed,will trap the water until it finds a way through the floor and into the floor joists/rafters. From there it will seek a low spot, soak through the ceiling and let you know you have a problem.) This now becomes an expensive repair that could have been avoided by leaving the back open. On an upper floor leaving the back open or even not caulking at all(as its only for looks) would be most important.

In my above answers I was assuming you were speaking of the caulking around the OUTSIDE of the base of the toilet. Leaving the back open would give you notice that you have a leak BEFORE it soaks under the tile you just installed.

Old 08-29-05, 06:39 AM
J
Hi Majakdragon,

And thank you again, yes I was making reference to a caulk around the base of the toilet. I have heard of people using plummers putty also around the base. I do understand the flange needs to be sealed with a wax ring and not a caulk type product. I went to the local hardware store over the weekend and believe I have the "right" solution for the job. I appreciate all the help and advice. Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: