Sewer gas from toilet

Old 09-04-05, 01:09 PM
md1978
Visiting Guest
Sewer gas from toilet

We have sewer gas coming from our bathoom. First, I thought that it was coming from an old toilet wax seal (it was 16 years old). I replace it and the smell got better but didn't go away. I then though maybe the seal I installed shifted during installation and I reinstalled another new seal but haven't seen a change.

I don't think my vent line is clogged as I'm not getting the smell from my other fixtures. I also don't see any cracks or water leaks on the toilet.

Any ideas?

I may try replacing the toilet and cross my fingers.

Thanks!
Brian

Old 09-04-05, 06:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
One thing you can try. Fill the tub and then drain it. As it drains, watch the water in the toilet bowl. If it moves, it's the vent line. You could also flush the toilet as the tub drains to see if you get bubbles from the tub drain. Good luck.

Old 09-05-05, 02:47 PM
md1978
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by majakdragon
One thing you can try. Fill the tub and then drain it. As it drains, watch the water in the toilet bowl. If it moves, it's the vent line. You could also flush the toilet as the tub drains to see if you get bubbles from the tub drain. Good luck.
Ok, we have two bathrooms with the smell problem (both upstairs).

For bathroom number 1, I filled the tub and sink and drained them at the same time. I didn't get any bubbles in the toilet but did get some in the tub.

Also, when I flush the toilet, I do get some bubble in the toilet during each flush.

I haven't tried this in bathroom # 2 yet, I'll do that tonight.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: