Problem with pink staining in shower

Old 09-04-05, 04:14 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with pink staining in shower

For some reason the water in my shower is causing some type of pink-colored staining on the shower walls. It washes off pretty easily, but it occurs every day and really looks bad. I am using city water (Portland, Maine). Any idea what is causing this? Pictures can be seen at http://www.northwoodsdigital.tv/bathroom.html

Old 09-04-05, 04:36 PM
The pink film is not caused by the water, but a naturally occurring airborne bacteria. The pink color is more prevalent in more humid rooms and new and remodeled homes where the microscopic dirt and dust is stirred up from construction activities. After becoming airborne, the dust and bacteria settle on all exposed surfaces. The bacteria react with standing water and form a pink film.

The best way to reduce this potentially harmful bacterial film is frequent cleaning. Cleansers containing bleach are more effective, but use caution if using an abrasive. Chlorine tablets work well in toilets, especially in disinfecting the porous interior of the tank, but have a tendency to breakdown the rubber and plastic parts inside the flushing mechanism. Keep bathtubs and sinks wiped down and dry to avoid the film from building up on those fixtures.

Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBER; 09-04-05 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-06-05, 07:40 AM
T
Thanks for the advice. I don't understand why I'm getting so much of it, there's no construction in my home, but I'll try to keep it clean!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: