leaky shower faucet!

Old 09-14-05, 11:39 AM
etusick
Visiting Guest
leaky shower faucet!

Just wondering if the threads on the actual valve stem are reverse having a hard time removing ! Thanks for the help

Old 09-14-05, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
etusick, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Think we need a little more info. What have you done so far? Is this a one or two handle valve? (Do you have a hot and a cold handle or just one handle for both?) Please let us know and we can help you.

Old 09-15-05, 03:36 PM
etusick
Visiting Guest
Sorry about the lack of information. It has two valves. I have taken the knobs off and exposed the valve stems but I just can not get them loose! I really do not want to go to hard and end up breaking something. I have tried wd-40 and really tried hard but to no avail. Should I just call a plumber and make it easy on myself?

Old 09-15-05, 03:47 PM
Under the handles, there should be a nut. This is the packing nut and it keeps the stem from leaking. If you unscrew the nut until the threads are no longer connected, you should be able to turn the handle and remove the stem(s)

Old 09-16-05, 01:08 PM
etusick
Visiting Guest
That is what I thought ,but there is no nut. It looks like the stem threads directly into the elbow of the water line. Also there is noting exposed except the elbows and stem, the rest of it is behind the tile wall!

Old 09-16-05, 02:19 PM
Before you call a plumber, try to find a brand name on the faucets. The packing nut I referred to earlier is what NORMALLY holds the stem in. If there is nothing to retain the stem, it would unscrew when you used the handles and went a bit too far.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: