Cracked concrete utility tub

Old 10-02-05, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Cracked concrete utility tub

I have an old laundry utility tub made of concrete. It has hairline cracks in it so that any water leaks right out the bottom.
I thought about just busting it up and hauling it out, but it seems to have been installed by God, and it does NOT want to go anywhere

I was thinking it would be much simpler and easier to either repair the cracks or put some kind of liner in the tubs. Anyone know of any remedies I might look into? Does that basement wall paint work on this type of application? Epoxy injection?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-05, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by reifarmer
I have an old laundry utility tub made of concrete. It has hairline cracks in it so that any water leaks right out the bottom.
I thought about just busting it up and hauling it out, but it seems to have been installed by God, and it does NOT want to go anywhere

I was thinking it would be much simpler and easier to either repair the cracks or put some kind of liner in the tubs. Anyone know of any remedies I might look into? Does that basement wall paint work on this type of application? Epoxy injection?

I used to help build swimming pools and one solution that comes to mind is to fill the cracks, or apply a thinset concrete layer if the cracks are a bit wide and apply acouple of coatings of pool paint. If you live in an area where swimming pools are prevalent you should be able to find the paint. Pool paint is designed to last underwater so you should be OK.

Old 10-04-05, 05:01 AM
Thanks, Jake.
I went to the local supply store, and they pointed me to some stuff called Dry Lok. First a mortar that comes in a can to cover the cracks with, then some paint which they say can be used on pools, but is mainly directed at the leaky basement wall problem. Sure hope this works.

Old 10-11-05, 06:28 PM
Thumbs up It worked

Hey, I just wanted to thank Jake for his good advice. I put on the thinset, then two coats of Drylok paint, and it's good and waterproof now! Right on.