Squealing shower

Old 10-04-05, 04:25 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Squealing shower

I have a shower stall that is about 6 years old (new townhouse). It contains a Delta single-handle faucet (1400 Series). There is a loud squealing behind the wall. Can't tell if it comes from handle area or shower head area. I think it's the shower head because I installed a new Kohler shower head and when I vary the different types of shower speed (ex. massage, pulsing, etc), the sound also varies. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, before I replaced the shower head, I tried to remove the single-handle faucet and could not get the handle off. The opening looked like it takes an Allen wrench but after finding the correct size for it, it never budged. I tried spraying white lithium in the hole. No success. Any advice on this?

Thanks!
Ronnie

Old 10-04-05, 06:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Single handle usually means a cartridge. They have "O" rings that go bad. The reason that the sound changes when you change adjustments on the shower is that the water is either restricted (in one position) or full flow (in another position) this changes the pressure on the rings and cartridge.
Wrap the handle with a rag and SOAK it with vinegar. Let it sit a while and try again. Calcium deposits build up and make handle removal a bear. Good luck.

Old 10-04-05, 08:06 PM
WIll5437
Visiting Guest
i have the same problem, my shower has a shower head on the wall, and a sink on the bottom, you pull a plug on the sink, and the shower head gets water. Im pretty sure the squealing comes from the sink unit, will the vinegar solution work for me?

Old 10-05-05, 04:13 AM
H
Squealing shower

Okay, thanks Majakdragon. I'll soak the hole with vinegar and around the handle where it twists. I hope I didn't strip the nut in the handle because when I was struggling to turn it with the Allen wrench, there were loud snaps. Do you think I have to replace the cartridge too along with the O-rings?

Thanks again!
Ronnie

Old 10-05-05, 04:51 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
WIll5437, The vinegar is a good thing for loosening calcium deposits.

homebydasea, I would replace the cartridge. That way you have covered all the reasons for the problem. The "O" rings are part of the cartridge. When you remove the cartridge, mark it on top with a Magic Marker so you install the new one right -side-up.

Old 10-05-05, 06:39 AM
H
Squealing shower

Okay, will do. Won't be able to work on it til this Sunday. Thanks for all your help majakdragon.

Old 10-08-05, 06:50 AM
H
Squealing Shower

I was able to soak the handle with vinegar. I managed to get the allen wrench screw out (after serious cranks) but the handle still does not pull off. Is there something else holding it on? How hard can I pull? The handle twist from cold to hot (left and right) easier but does not budge going the other way (front and back).

Thanks
Ronnie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: