4 piece shower

Old 10-07-05, 05:32 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
4 piece shower

Good Morning,
My wife and i are finishing off our unfinished basement and I am in the process of completing the plumbing. I have purchased a 4 piece shower and had the base installed. when working in there last night i was standing in the base of the shower and heard a slight crack. I looked at the base but did not see a crack at all in the shower. It is ridgid fiberglass so when i installed it i didn't think i needed to install a base underneath. Also, the shower sits about an inch or so off of the concrete floor. My question is, is it recommended to tear the shower out and put in a concrete base or is there expanding foam or something that I could place underneath there to give it some added support. if concrete is recommended is there a site some place explaining how to do this? Thanks for the help.

Old 10-07-05, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why is the shower "an inch or so off the concrete floor"? What is needed, and should have been indicated in the installation instructions, is a mortar base under the pan. Fiberglass and plastic shower pans will flex. Mortar does not have rocks or stones that would puncture the base. The mortar should have been placed before the base was installed and then nthe base placed into/onto it. The crack you heard may or may not have been all the way through the material. Hopefully there is a way you can check it before proceding. Good luck and reply back with any further questions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: