Caulk or plumbers putty??

Old 10-12-05, 05:22 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caulk or plumbers putty??

I'm getting some conflicting info on what I should use to install my new granite composite sink to a Formica countertop. Pumbers putty or caulk? Why one over the other? If caulk what kind? Which do I use to install the sink strainers? Everyone seems to have a different way to do things.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-05, 05:50 PM
T
For installing the sink - plumbers putty is harder to work with and comes in pretty much one color. I've used it to install a S. S. bar sink on grey tile, but prefer caulking for all my other installs. Latex is easier to work with but doesn't offer the water/mold resistance of pure silicone. I still use latex caulk though for sink installs - as the way I install it, it doesn't show through the joint unless I've got a deep grout crevice in the path of the sink lip.

The sink strainers need putty. It provides a good seal that remains pliant and is not affected by moisture. I once used latex caulking for that application because I was out of putty and didn't want to drive to the store......... and ended up replacing it after a week of slow leaking.

Old 10-12-05, 07:20 PM
Do not use putty on granite, marble, ect, it says so in the directions on the container, make the seal using silicone, I use clear silicone, putty will discolor/stain the surface.