Bathroom sink drain: Making a monkey out of me!

Old 10-13-05, 09:47 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bathroom sink drain: Making a monkey out of me!

Hello, all. So here's the deal:

The sink drain system consists of a piece of 1 1/2" PVC coming out of the wall, connected to same diameter PVC j-pipe and into the trap. Connecting to the trap and continuing up towards the sink drain was a piece of flexible PVC that leaked. I removed this piece of flexible PVC - then my wonderful fiance did something with this removed piece - I know not where she put it, and neither does she.

So I need a new piece of pipe, preferably smooth rather than flexible. The trouble is, the sink drain pipe is less than 1 1/2" in diameter (probably 1" or 1 1/4"). I haven't found a piece of PVC that's 1 1/2" on one end to connect to the trap, and (approximately) 1 1/4" on the other end to connect to the drain coming off the sink.

Most frustrating this is. I can drywall like a champ, build a block retaining wall with absolutely zero settlement, yet this plumbing crap is tempting me to take hostages in a tower with a scoped-rifle.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-13-05, 09:54 AM
T
Relax...

Sounds like a pretty easy fix... Getting rid of the flex pipe is a good idea....

For less than $20, you can get a reducer for your drain 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 with a compression coupling to the p-trap J pipe.... Add a new p-trap and tailpiece (the downpipe from your drain). The various pieces are mostly slip couplings, which allow for vertical and horizontal adjustment. And you're in business....

Old 10-13-05, 10:32 AM
M
Originally Posted by thezster
And you're in business....
In theory...yes.

Thanks for the response. I assumed that there would be some sort of reducer I could buy, just wasn't able to find one at Lowe's. I'll keep on lookin' - thanks again!

Old 10-13-05, 10:40 AM
T
If you didn't live in St. Louis, you could come over and get one... I've probably got 2 - 3 laying around.

The big box store should have one.....I'm surprised they didn't, it's a common reducer.

Old 10-13-05, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reduction in pipe size is normally done with a reducing slipjoint nut. It has threads for 1-1/2" and on the front side it is thicker to accomodate the 1-1/4" pipe. The washer inside the nut makes the transition from one size to another. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: