Shower faucet knob stripped

Old 11-01-05, 09:35 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower faucet knob stripped

Hello - I have a Shower faucet knob partially stripped. I can put pressure on it to crossthread so it can be operated.To replace the plastic knob,do I valve out the water supply to the shower and then take the screw out of the knob? Do I turn the knob full open or does the plastic knob just back off with the screw out? Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-05, 10:03 AM
sadie78
Visiting Guest
You want to replace the handle, right? I would turn off the water supply, undo the screw at the front of the handle and the handle should pull off. We just did this and unfortunatley the handle wouldn't budge so we had to buy a handle puller (about $7). But once the puller was in place the handle came off easily.
By the way, I think I might know you...is your dad a dentist???

Old 11-01-05, 02:27 PM
K
Thanks for the help. I am really curious that somewhere in that post you got the idea that you knew me.

Old 11-01-05, 02:34 PM
sadie78
Visiting Guest
It was your screen name and location. If I would've thought about it a little deeper then I would've realized that, hello, there is probably more than one Kegler living in Indiana. I just hadn't heard of the name before besides that of one of my best friend's. Hope I didn't creep you out!

Old 11-02-05, 06:16 AM
K
No problem! Kegler is an old English term for a bowler. Just little ole me!

Old 11-02-05, 06:37 AM
Calcium deposits are the biggest foe of faucet handle removal. They build up over the years since most are not often removed. You may want to try wrapping a rag around the handle and "soaking" it with vinegar. Let it sit and then try removing later. The handle removing tool is always an option. Myself, I don't like buying tools for one time use. I can usually rent them. Good luck.