Leaking Sink Drain

Old 11-02-05, 08:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking Sink Drain

I installed a new sink, vanity, and faucet in a remodeled bathroom. I was all done ( ), but noticed a drip leak coming from the rubber gasket at the top of the sink's "pop-up" drain, where it attaches to the bottom of the sink ( ).

I couldn't get the thing any tighter, so I pulled it off, put some plumbers putty around the inside of the sink drain, and tried again to get it to seal, but now it leaks worse than before! ( ) Any suggestions on how to get this rubber gasket to seal up correctly against the bottom of the sink drain? I'm just concerned I'm going to break the plastic stem if I try to tighten it up any more.

Old 11-02-05, 09:20 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Did you put pipe dope or teflon tape on the fine threads that connect the tailpiece to the sink drain? This is usually where leaks occur. You were right in putting plumbers putty on the flange of the drain opening. Otherwise the flange would leak if you fill the sink with water. The nut you are tightening pulls the flange down onto the plumbers putty to seal the drain opening. Good luck and let us know how it works.

Old 11-12-05, 02:08 PM
Pipe tape on the threads where the rubber gasket tightens up to grip the bottom of the sink fixed the problem. I loaded it up with the white teflon tape, shoved lots of plumbers putty between the gasket and the bottom of the porcelain sink, then tightened it up and no leaks! Hooray! On to the next challenge!

Old 11-12-05, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I love it when a plan comes together.

Old 01-20-07, 07:24 AM
M
I have the same problem!

I can't remove the pipe that is attached to the sink itself. My rubber gasket under the sink bowl does move so not sure if that is where the leak is coming from or not.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-20-07 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Quote deleted. No need to quote entire post to reply.
Old 01-20-07, 07:55 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
"I can't remove the pipe that is attached to the sink itself. My rubber gasket under the sink bowl does move so not sure if that is where the leak is coming from or not."

Fill the sink with water, wipe the tailpiece and trap dry and open the sink drain. You should be able to see the source of the leak.

Old 01-20-07, 11:03 AM
K
Marble sinks can't be to tight. I use silicone around the rubber after tightening.

Old 03-06-07, 11:14 AM
B
Originally Posted by krankyoleman
Marble sinks can't be to tight. I use silicone around the rubber after tightening.

Is this to be taken as: the nuts on such sinks should be very very tight, or that they shouldn't be too tight?

does it matter with plastic piping?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: