Clawfoot Tub Drain broke

Old 11-02-05, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clawfoot Tub Drain broke

Hi,

I have repaired/replaced many more modern drains and popups, but never an old clawfoot tub.

Tub could be 75 to 100 years old. The drain flange(sorry if I got the lingo wrong) on the top rusted and half of it broke off(just the flage part). I am hoping for the best possible scenario which is I can unscrew it with a dumbell/inside wrench/etc and screw in a new /old one.

My question i have is whether these old drains are constructed like the new ones where they will screw out.(After a 100years it might not come out anyways).??

The tub is surrrounded by 3 walls and the tub seems to be 4-5 inches only to the floor. I really can't see anything because of the tight spaces and there is a cast ring on the bottom where the pipe goes up so I can't see a nut. The "T" is very close as well.

Basically if there is a drawing of an old assembly, that might be helpful as well.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-05, 09:16 PM
I have used normal trip and waste kits for these, along with SCH40 half kits with either a foot lok stop or lift n turn assembly. The opening is the same bore, your overflow tube is adjustable on a trip and waste.

Old 11-06-05, 08:30 PM
Thanks Dunbar, I got it all fixed.

It was a standard tub fitting. With all the crudd and the tight location I thought I may have a nightmare. All standard brass fittings and tubing. The flange did break and the foot broke at the T so I had to replace the whole foot. The flange was a tad smaller(1/8") than the old one but all is OK.

Thanks again for the response.