Floor Bolts for Toilet

Old 11-07-05, 07:08 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floor Bolts for Toilet

I replaced my first toilet yesterday. It works fine, and it does not rock, like the one I replaced. Having never done this before, Iím pretty pleased with myself.

However, when I removed the old toilet, the area around the drain needed to be cleaned. I cleaned the old wax, and loose material. I did not find a flange around the drainpipe to hold the new bolts. Around the drainpipe was metal that had a lip and looked like a half flange. There really was no area to insert and hold the bolts, but the lip seemed to do fine.

As I mentioned, the new toilet does not rock, and I have not found any water leaking either. I used toilet shims to even it out and a white fixture caulking for around the bottom of the toilet.

My question is, did I do this right? Should I be happy until/if something happens that needs to be adjusted? I keep thinking I did this wrong, and something will go wrong or start leaking. Aside from finding a place for the bolts, the installation was easier than I thought.

I just need to clean the tiles because the new toilet is smaller than the old one, and the tiles beneath the old toilet look dirty and discolored.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-05, 07:32 PM
Not sure what you mean by "lip" around the pipe. Did it look like a broken flange? Some older houses did not have closet flanges. They used a bolt similar to a lag bolt that held the toilet to the floor. It screwed into the floor. The wax seal will probably do the job. Just hoping the bolts don't slip off the "lip". You could have pruchased what is called a Superflange which would fit over the pipe and be screwed down to the floor so you would have the slots for the flange bolts. Good luck.

Old 11-08-05, 06:51 AM
D
It does look like a broken flange, but the corners are not sharp, they are smooth. It looks like it was made to be that way.

The bolts I removed from the old toilet look just like the new bolts. Yes, the wax squeezed out and filled in the area around the bolts. So far, after two days, everything is well.