old concrete sink

Old 11-07-05, 09:52 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old concrete sink

I need to remove an old concrete double sink from a basement. It is free standing but sits on a flimsy metal stand. It appears to have some metal stripping/trim around it but I don't recall seeing one like this before. It's too bulky and heavy to carry up the stairs.

Is it feasible to break up into manageable pieces with a sledge or cut with a concrete saw? Should I count on some sort of metal reinforcement or rebar within? All responses appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-05, 09:57 AM
D
Originally Posted by trs4594
I need to remove an old concrete double sink from a basement. It is free standing but sits on a flimsy metal stand. It appears to have some metal stripping/trim around it but I don't recall seeing one like this before. It's too bulky and heavy to carry up the stairs.

Is it feasible to break up into manageable pieces with a sledge or cut with a concrete saw? Should I count on some sort of metal reinforcement or rebar within? All responses appreciated.
A while back, a friend of mine remonved one of those concrete basement sinks by brewaking it up with a sledgehammer. He replaced it with a PVC sink.

Old 11-07-05, 07:04 PM
Go with the sledge. Wear eye protection and if you have anything old (towel, piece of carpet etc) that can be ruined, use it to cover the sink before hammering it. It saves a mess from flying debris. Good luck.

Old 11-08-05, 05:40 AM
C
Please let us know how it went. I have the same kind of sink and would love to get rid of it. I've been reluctant to pull out the sledge for fear that there's wire mesh inside the concrete.

Old 11-08-05, 06:44 PM
T
A couple of easy test taps with a heavy sledge revealed the concrete was much softer than I anticipated. I too feared a wire mesh nightmare, and while there was soft wire threaded through it internally, it broke up pretty easily. I had it in manageable pieces, up from the basement, and on the truck in about 1/2 hour.

Much easier than I thought, good luck with yours and thanks for the posts.