Can you recommend a good toilet?

Old 11-11-05, 10:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you recommend a good toilet?

We just built a new home and we just put the 'standard' toilets in, no upgrade. Well, let me tell you, they are crap (pun intended). I have to get the plunger out at least once a week because one of the 4 is backed up.

I am not sure if this is allowed, but can someone recommend a toilet with a strong flush that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I'd like to start changing them out one at a time. The brand we have now are Gerber.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-05, 03:57 PM
I was in the same situation a month or so ago. Our new home had the lousy contractor grade tiolets. I bought 2 Toto Drake tiolets. Very good flush and quick filling too. They cost me about $220 each excluding seat from a plumbing supply house.

Old 11-12-05, 07:38 AM
There are a couple things you can/should check before reaching in your wallet.
1) Check the water level in the tank(s) to see if it is at the level marked on the inside of the tank.
2) Check the chain on the flapper. It should have "just" enough slack to allow the flapper to seal. If it has too much slack, the toilet will "short flush". You can see this by watching in the tank when flushing to see if all the water leaves the tank before the flapper drops back down.
3) If you pull a toilet to change it out, check the opening on the bottom of the toilet. I have seen them as small as 1-1/2". This stifles the flush and causes clogs as solids try to exit the toilet. I prefer 2" opening.
4) If you have a "really" cheap toilet, the built-in trap may not be glazed. This is a rough surface that slows down the flushing action due to friction.
5) Items 3 & 4 can be checked at a Big box store toilet display. I have seen the description of these items posted on the display for each toilet.
6) Inexpensive does not have to mean "cheap". I like the American Standard Cadet. 2" opening and a Fluidmaster 400A flush valve are standard. At around $100 it's a good toilet.
Good luck.

Old 11-12-05, 08:13 AM
American Standard Cadet

Yes, it's cheap - $100 for toilet/tank/valve at a big box store - but the one I just installed in my new basement bathroom seems to be working great - no issues whatsoever.............. for whatever it's worth....

Old 11-13-05, 05:33 PM
Thanks

Now I know what to look for and a couple of models to check out. Thanks for the helps.