Replaced the Fill Valve in the Toilet but ...?

Old 11-12-05, 02:32 AM
EliB
Visiting Guest
Replaced the Fill Valve in the Toilet but ...?

Hi,

I recently replaced the antiquated fill valve with the ball, to the newer one without. Everything seems fine and properly functional, but for the fact that periodically there is a sound coming from the pipes as if a valve has been opened. Sounds like someone opened a faucet in another apartment. To be sure I've eyeballed the fill valve while this opened valve sound occured and it's doesn't seem to be originating from it, no movement, no filling action.

This is my first plumbing job ever - kind of proud of myself actually in that I now know what you guys know:It's easy to do - just want to make sure that this sound I'm hearing isn't directly related to my work.

PS The fill valve is set to a height way below the water saver marker. I've left it because the flush strength is adequate. Is this the only consideration here?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-05, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fill valve

You replaced the fill valve with what? If it is a Fluid-Master it will cycle on and off if there is a leak in the flush-valve. Put some food coloring into the tank, wait to you hear the sound again, check the bowl, if you see color in there you have a leak in the flush-valve. Best I can do with the info. Luck.

Old 11-12-05, 08:40 AM
E
wrong forum

Last edited by EGreen; 11-12-05 at 08:41 AM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 11-12-05, 01:04 PM
EliB
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by shacko
You replaced the fill valve with what? If it is a Fluid-Master it will cycle on and off if there is a leak in the flush-valve. Put some food coloring into the tank, wait to you hear the sound again, check the bowl, if you see color in there you have a leak in the flush-valve. Best I can do with the info. Luck.
Thanks, shacko. Yes it is a fluid-Master fill valve. Gotta go look for some Food Colouring to do the test you've kindly suggested.

I'll post back.

Thanks alot!

Old 11-12-05, 01:57 PM
No need for food coloring if you are a coffee drinker. Just pour a couple cups of coffee (liquid only, no grounds) into the tank.Same results. Good luck.

Old 11-13-05, 02:20 AM
EliB
Visiting Guest
Oh, yeah, there's a leak there, no doubt. As soon as I poured the coffee in it began to appear in the bowl.

With my ear so close to the bowl, I also became aware of a slight trickling sound.

Any suggestions, recommended tutorials on how to procede?

Definitely need to replace the flapper.

Old 11-13-05, 01:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by EliB
Hi,

I recently replaced the antiquated fill valve with the ball, to the newer one without. Everything seems fine and properly functional, but for the fact that periodically there is a sound coming from the pipes as if a valve has been opened. Sounds like someone opened a faucet in another apartment. To be sure I've eyeballed the fill valve while this opened valve sound occured and it's doesn't seem to be originating from it, no movement, no filling action.

This is my first plumbing job ever - kind of proud of myself actually in that I now know what you guys know:It's easy to do - just want to make sure that this sound I'm hearing isn't directly related to my work.

PS The fill valve is set to a height way below the water saver marker. I've left it because the flush strength is adequate. Is this the only consideration here?
This is something that I bet a lot of plumbers don't know or think about:

On the 400 A fill valve, and perhaps others, where you stick the bowl recovery water tube into the overflow? If you stick the rubber tube down the overflow farther than the height that the tank water is at, the tank will syphon down to that level and you will have a viscous cycle of the toilet trying to refill itself; the classic call I get from someone saying that they hear the toilet trying to run itself like 10 times a day. This often is the cause, if the flapper isn't the cause. But it's a much more rare occurance unless some do-it-yourselfer put in the fill valve and didn't realize this. Or, in the case with me, the landlord hired jailbird maintenance men who don't know what they are doing. They only THINK they know what they are doing. So everyone, be aware of this and only make sure that rubber tube only goes down the ovrflow for like 1 inch.

Old 11-13-05, 06:04 PM
Heres something that Bonehead needs to know. I have a Fluidmaster 400A flushvalve and I also have the instruction book. There is NO tube coming off it at all.
Change your flapper and you should solve the problem. Good luck.