Replace Hot water pipe crack

Old 11-19-05, 10:48 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace Hot water pipe crack

I found a small crack in my hot water pipe from my heater in a basement, I replaced with a new 4 ft pipe. After a couple monhts another small crack developed in a old section next to the old one. I don't know should I continue to replace this pipe, find out why the pipe at this location continue to crack, or I has to replace all hot water copper pipe in the house. The hot and cold water pipe is two feet higher than the hot water exhaust. My house is 47 years old.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-05, 10:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You better check your hot water heater pressure relief valve to see if it works.

But it could be a defective pipe. I can't think off hand if these pipes are extruded or rolled. If *rolled*, it could have been a bad batch, that the seam never joined up properly.

Old 11-19-05, 12:30 PM
The height should not have any bearing on the pipe cracking. Some water has chemicals in it that will deteriorate copper pipe. It could also be a bad batch of pipe. Should be Type "L" copper or thicker. Being a hot water line, that could explain the chemical concern I mentioned. Good luck.