not all of the toilet paper flushes and now I hear the toilet running more often.

Old 11-23-05, 11:12 AM
lizutah
Visiting Guest
not all of the toilet paper flushes and now I hear the toilet running more often.

When I flush the toilet there is still some toilet paper left in the bottom. Like the suction isn't strong enough or something. I hear the toilet running more often now and every once in awhile I have to use a plunger.

One more thing, my Dad decided we need to add vent covers to the sewer pipes coming out of the roof. Someone since has told me what those are for & that you don't need to cover them. Is it hurting anything to keep them covered?

Old 11-23-05, 11:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
lizutah, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Lets go step by step.
1) There is no suction connected with flushing a toilet. Water from the tank goes to the bowl and pushes the waste down the drainpipe.
2) The toilet not flushing the paper down and the toilet running more often are probably related. It appears that your flapper is leaking water through to the bowl. This lowers the water level in the tank and makes it refill more often. It also means that less water is in the tank so that when you flush, it is not getting the correct amount of water to do a complete flush. Try pouring a couple cups of coffee (liquid only, no grounds) into the tank. Watch the water in the bowl. If the flapper is leaking, the water will be discolored by the coffee. You can clean the sealing surface of the flapper or purchase a new one. Another thing to check is that the chain that raises the flapper is adjusted "just" enough to let the flapper seal. This way, you will get a full flush when used. Too much slack in the chain will cause a "short flush".
3) Vent covers are not needed. If you seal off a vent pipe, it will not do what it is supposed to do. That is, let air into the drainage system and allow proper drainage. Drains need air to operate properly. If there is no air (vents) they will suck the water out of the nearest fixture trap and allow sewer gas to enter the home. The only "vent cover" that I am aware of is screening to keep birds from building nests in the main vent pipe.
Hope this info helps. If you have more questions, please use the reply button and we will be here to help. Good luck.

Old 11-23-05, 11:41 AM
lizutah
Visiting Guest
Sounds easy enough. I will try the coffee thing in the morning. Changing the flapper, is this easy to do or should I put my good ole' home warranty to good use finally?

Old 11-23-05, 11:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Installing a flapper takes about 30 seconds. Most use the two "ears" on the flapper to connect it to the overflow tube. Some have a ring that slides over the overflow tube. Simple job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: