Loud Noise when I turn on the Shower

Old 11-28-05, 08:08 AM
anon1m0us
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Loud Noise when I turn on the Shower

When I take a shower, I have this loud EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! Sound when I turn on the hot water full blast. Have the water semi-hot- or warm won't reproduce the sound. It also only occurs when the water pressure is on full blast. When I lower my level in the shower not full blast the sound seem to disappear. Any ideas?

Old 11-28-05, 08:28 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello: anon1m0us

Easiest and least expensive first attempt to resolve the problem is to replace the internal valve and seat in the faucet. If the faucet is a mixing valve single lever type, replace the internal cartridge. Same condition may exist.

Hot water is expanding the internal metal parts, which are expanding at different expansion rates do to different internal metal materials they are made from. Usually two or three different metals. Each expanding at different rates when exposed to very hot water on cold metals.

Which is likely causing the noise. Once the internal valve and seat are replaced, noise will be gone. Happened here at my place and the above resolved problem....

Check back on your question several more times. Moderators and other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, suggestions and or help needed. Allow some time for them to do so.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent & All Forums Monitor.

Old 11-29-05, 05:59 AM
anon1m0us
Visiting Guest
Wink Replace faucet?

Hi; sorry I am not a plumber. What is an "internal valve and seat in the faucet"?? Is that the shower knobs?

I found my shower mechanisim online. Here is the link to look at it.

http://deltacom.deltafaucet.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_CU/.cmd/act/.c/6_1_9I/.ce/7_1_DG/.p/5_1_9F/.d/2/_th/J_1_6A/_s.7_0_A/7_0_CU?PC_7_1_DG_url=http%3A%2F%2Fblumar.deltafaucet.com%3A3128%2Fcda%2FProduct.jsp%3Ftask%3DProductDetail%26area%3DBath%26function%3DTubShower%26group%3DShowerOnly%26collection%3DClassic%26pid%3D621#

Do i need to replace the level? or the things behind it?

To summarize, the issue only occurs when the level is turned to hot and full blast.

In addition, I removed the shower head, and checked to see if it is the shower head. It's not. Noise still occured with the shower head off (but to a lesser degree)

Old 11-29-05, 07:48 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: anon1m0us

Excuse me. I neglected to explain and or define internal valve and seat.
YES. Below the faucet knobs.

Those are the internal parts below the knob. Which has to be first removed to expose them. Remove the decorative cap in the center of the faucet.

There will be a phillips screw under the cap that needs to be removed. Once that screw is removed, the valve can be removed. Remove the ring nut used to hold the valve in, than pull valve out.

Once valve is out, look inside the hole or opening where the valve was removed. The brass and or bronze part is the seat. Requires a special tool to remove and replace with a new seat.

Should be able to borrow one from any local privately owned (non big box) hardware store. Or purchase the tool. Not to costly and well worth having one for future use.

Once the seat is removed, install the new one and tighten it in with the removal/install tool. Than install new valve and tighten it in also. Reinstall knob and screw that in. Replace the cap into the opening...job done..

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-29-05, 08:22 AM
anon1m0us
Visiting Guest
Thanks...gives me a better idea.
Can you please check out the diagram of the internal parts of my shower knobs. Which ones will need to be replaced? What is the name of the tool?

http://deltacom.deltafaucet.com/medi...2_621_5983.pdf

Thanks

Old 11-29-05, 11:36 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: anon1m0us

Slightly different model than I have thought it was. However, parts number RP4993 is the valves and seats. No tool should be needed for this type of shower faucet, best as I can determine.

The valve part #RP16213 may also be a cause. These are more likely to expand at different rates when hot water comes into contact with them causing a noise. Same problem I had some time prior. Replacing these parts resolved the problem.

Also the part that needed the "Valve Seat" removal tool. Same tool used on two know sink faucets that use washers. Not for the washerless faucet types which requires the entire cartridge (assembly) gets replaced.

Old 11-30-05, 05:54 AM
anon1m0us
Visiting Guest
Thanks

I will go and purchase part RP4993 , which is the valves & seats. That looks easy enough to replace.

#RP16213 looks a little too complicated to replace. It seems you need to soder it to the pipe. Am i correct? If yes, I might as well call a plumber.

THanks

Old 11-30-05, 06:08 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Soldering is not really hard to do. A little practice and you can do it. Just for your info, I have included an interactive link on soldering. Take a look at it. Good luck with your project.

http://www.doityourself.com/info/h2handlecopper.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: