Rushing water sound when toilet is flushed

Old 11-29-05, 11:20 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rushing water sound when toilet is flushed

Hi everyone, great site.

I have a small problem (I hope) in my bathroom. Whenever we flush the toilet there is a rushing water sound in the bathtub drain and also the sink drain. We just bought this house about a month ago and its a pretty old house with some renovations done about 2 years ago (including this new bathroom). Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks.

Jorge

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-05, 06:23 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You hear the trouble from the sink drain and the tub drain? Is that where? You can check that easy enough by listening right by the drains. Or, is it coming from water rushing through the supply water piples? If - it is from the drains, you have no vent for the tub or sink.

Old 11-29-05, 06:57 PM
If there is no vent line connected, you will have sewer gas entering the house. The rushing water is sucking the water out of the traps on the tub and sink. Good luck.
If you can, check to see if permits were issued for the remodel. That way you will know if it was inspected and up to code.

Old 11-30-05, 07:17 AM
J
Originally Posted by ecman1
You hear the trouble from the sink drain and the tub drain? Is that where? You can check that easy enough by listening right by the drains. Or, is it coming from water rushing through the supply water piples? If - it is from the drains, you have no vent for the tub or sink.
I suspected that this might be the case. The sink and tub drain are around 6 feet away and the noise comes from both. I doubt this was done with permits, because of the shoddiness of the workmanship. How do I vent this if its not vented?

Thanks for your help.

Jorge

Old 11-30-05, 05:18 PM
E
You can try to use one of these vent devices you can buy at home centers just for cases like this.

You have to do a take-off from the bathroom sink drain under the sink, so that you form a tee in the drain line so that you add pvc going up , higher than the trap. And you terminate this with a female 1 1/2 inch pvc coupling and screw the vent device into it. They work like a check valve. When you go to flush the toilet, it will open that check valve an allow air to enter the sink drain line. This could automatically stop your tub from making noise also, just by doing the one to the sink, and the lines are interconnected.

I'd also like to say that there is a chance that the toilet itself is not vented. That could explain why you are getting the noise you describe rather than a glunk, glunk, glunk, series of sounds. A non vented toilet could really do some serious displacing of air and try to recover air via the tub and sink. There are these handyman younger type guys (I was one, once) who are fearless and think they know how things should be but don't know everything, like they think. Could this be a possibility, or don't you think so or can't you tell? Any way you can see, from the basement, if there is a 4 inch vertical drain line in the basement with a 4 inch pipe teed into it near the ceiling and then going up to the toilet about 16 inches away?

Last edited by ecman1; 11-30-05 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-01-05, 09:52 AM
J
Thanks for the heads up on the vent valve. I called the city yesterday and asked for them if any permits had been issued in the last few years and I was told no. It seems that whomever did this work did it without getting it approved. Explains quite a bit actually. Apparently the new bathroom was put in a couple years ago.

Anyhow, in the basement I can't see any pipes because the ceiling down there is finished. I doubt the toilet is vented too.

Ultimately what should the proper situation in this case. I will look into venting the sink as your recommendation, if that fixes the noise issue am I done or should I vent the toilet as well?

Thanks again all for your help.

Jorge

Old 12-01-05, 03:35 PM
E
Regarding the toilet: Even though the basement ceiling is finished, that 4 inch vertical pipe should still be down there some where. Look again. It should go through the finsihed ceiling and right out the basement floor, if you are on city water/sewer, and even if you were on a septic system, you would still see some of the pipe below ceiling level.

Is your house one story or two story? Can you see a pipe coming out the roof that you believe is a the vent?

To be frank with you, I have never heard of hearing such a severe sound before. But in theory, it would make sense if the toilet vent were absolutely plugged, or disconnected from the toilet.

Let me know what you find. There has to be a 4 inch pipe there somewhere.

Old 12-01-05, 04:03 PM
E
Originally Posted by Jorge

Ultimately what should the proper situation in this case. I will look into venting the sink as your recommendation, if that fixes the noise issue am I done or should I vent the toilet as well?

Jorge
Well, the toilet/sink line is unvented for sure, because if they were (vented), the air would would be pulled down the vent for these rather than come through the drains, as is happening now.

I have been doodle-drawing some drain and waste designs, but have concluded it be best to wait and see if you find that pipe and then, see where the toilet is, now, in relation to that pipe.

I have a theory going now that -

1. If the sink and tub are unvented as I suspect, *and* -
2. -the toilet were moved to the other side of the room, with the toilet drain line still tapped into the drain and vent pipe, that this could maybe cause such a sound, due to so much water displacing so much air in the toilet drain line that a rapid recovery through the tub and sink drains could cause such a sound.

But I'd like you to check out where the 4 inch pipe is and were the toilet is in relation to that pipe, before simply speculating any furhter.

Old 12-12-05, 08:01 PM
J
Sorry for the delay in posting, family duties called. Now back to fixing some stuff before the holidays.

I looked around and can't see anything in the area. Under the toilet in the basement (finished) its impossible to see anything without cutting holes in walls. It seems to me that the toilet drain links to the bathtub drain which then goes into the 4 inch drain. The 4 inch drain is about 6 feet away from the toilet and 1 foot away from tub. (I'm speculating this as well but I'm following the water sound when the toilet is flushed.